Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Going Mirrorless

A few months ago, Nikon finally announced it's long overdue release of their mirrorless cameras. You can say they are pretty late in the game as Sony was the first to revolutionize the industry with their launch of reasonably prized mirrorless cameras back in 2013. Leica, of course, was the first to release this kind of technology with the release of the Leica M (rangefinder camera) in 2004 but that came with a nice price tag of $5,000.
Being a professional photographer, I have always loved the feel, weight and sturdiness of my Nikon DSLR camera. I do however own a Sony a6000 that was gifted to me and I absolutely love because it is light, compact and easy to carry, unlike my bulky, heavy DSLR. Due to my physical ailments, I have been thinking of transitioning my gear to mirrorless so when Nikon announced the release of their new mirrorless line, you can imagine my excitement. 
I decided to go to my favorite website by Ken Rockwell to see his reviews as always has the best, non-biased comparisons in my opinion. It gave a very thorough comparison between Nikon, Sony and Canon mirrorless systems. I then decided to go to one of my other favorite sites, DP Review to see what they had to say about the Nikon Z7 full frame mirrorless camera. I like that they gave it an 89% rating which is only a 1% difference from the Sony a7RIII which I was leaning towards. I am still not ready to make a decision on such a big purchase though. I would like to get my hands on both of these cameras first before I can make an informative decision on which to choose. I have always been a Nikon fan, however, I feel that Sony is ahead of the game and they have more options on lenses as well. 
If you had to make a choice today, which one would you choose today and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment